ABOUT THE AREA
Herold’s Bay is an un spoilt and secluded little bay just 15 km west of George in the Western Cape province of South Africa. Herold's Bay is situated on the Garden Route and is the ideal holiday destination for the avid golfer or fisherman. Perched on a rocky cove, Herold's Bay is sheltered from the South Easterly winds that blow off the coast.Herold’s Bay has a lovely little stretch of beach which is perfect for swimming, surfing and fishing. The tidal pool and the many natural rock pools on the beach are popular for exploring and snorkeling. The sheltered cove of the bay is the ideal place to relax and enjoy sunny days on the beach with the family!The village is close to two renowned golf courses: Fancourt and Oubaai, where the luxurious Ernie Els signature golf course compliments this rugged and beautiful area. Dolphins visit the bay in the warmer months and whale watching is a must in the winter months from July - November.Other activities in Herold’s Bay include walking/hiking trails, perfect for spotting birds nesting in the coastal fynbos. The village is close to all the main tourist attractions of Knysna, Mossel Bay, Oudtshoorn and George.
Herolds Bay: Activities and Places of interest:
- Red Berry Farm where you pick your own strawberries. They also offer an outdoor tea garden and fresh farm stall.
- The Dutch Cheese Farm for wine and cheese tasting.
- The Bado Kidogo Bird Farm is a breeding farm open to the public and viewing can be done 365 days a year.
- Garden Route Botanical Gardens is the only botanical garden on the Garden Route.
- Golf: One of South Africa’s premier golfing destinations with ten courses, driving ranges and a world-class golf academy.
- Hiking, mountain-biking, bird-watching and indigenous fynbos.
- Surfing at Victoria Bay and Herolds Bay.
- The Outeniqua Country Hop Route meanders through the Blanco and Geelhoutboom area and has arts and crafts, hikes, golf, hops farms, eateries and accommodation.
- Board the Outeniqua Power Van for an excursion on the Outeniqua Mountains.
- Scenic passes are the Montagu Pass and Seven Passes Road.
- George Museum and other historical buildings.
Wilderness: Activities and Places of interest:
- Paragliding, mountain biking, water skiing, abseiling, canoeing trails.
- Horse-riding through forests, on farms and along country roads.
- Beaches are ideal for fishing, sunbathing and water sport activities.
- Langvlei, Rondevlei and Touw River are excellent for birding (bird-hides).
- The Wilderness National Park, with a lake area of 10 000ha – Kingfisher Hiking Trail.
- Dolphin Point offers coastal views, with dolphin and whale-watching between July and October.
- Visit Timberlake for organic food, wine and arts and crafts.
George Golf Courses
From leisure and relaxation The Herolds Bay Luxury Apartments is the perfect setting to stay and play. Enjoy a round of golf at the world-renowned golf courses surrounding the hotel.
- Oubaai Golf Club (Hyatt Regency Oubaai Golf Resort & Spa)
2 minutes / 2 km. Oubaai is proud to be the first and only Ernie Els signature course in South Africa. The golf course design allows for a challenge to all levels of golfer. Visitors are welcome.
- Kingswood Golf Club
10 minutes / 15km. Situated in George.
- George Golf Club
12 minutes / 17km. Situated in George.